Where are you located?
Because RESCUEDohio is a foster based organization, we do not have a physical location with hours of operation. All dogs are in foster homes primarly located in Columbus, Ohio. We do not have a phone number.
There are a lot of FAQ. What do I actually need to know? Do you have any pro-tips?
- Fully complete an application early even if you are not looking to adopt at this moment or there are no dogs that match what you’re looking for. Applications can take up to 2 weeks to process and we do not hold any dogs. Your application will be good for 6 months assuming you have not moved or added another person or animal to your home. If you have, you can recomplete the application with the updates!
- Make sure all pets in your house are spayed/neutered , UTD on shots (Rabies, and DHPP) and on heartworm prevention.
- Give your landlord, personal references, and vet office a heads up that we will be calling. Your application will not be reviewed by an adoption coordinator until we speak to all the required individuals (Vet and landlord, if applicable)
- Ensure that you live in Ohio, are at least 23 years old
- Be respectful and polite to our team members. We are all volunteers and have full times jobs and families. We do our best to respond quickly, but life happens. We all want dogs to find the perfect forever home.
How can I apply?
We have an all-in-one application. You can apply to foster, volunteer or adopt all on one application!APPLY TODAY!
Do you have application requirements?
- We will only adopt to Ohio residents. You must be willing to travel to the Columbus area to meet any of our dogs.
- You must be 23 years or older to adopt.
- We only adopt dogs for the placement of companion animals. We are not able to adopt dogs for the purpose of emotional support, therapy or service animals at this time.
- The following are required for all dogs/cats IN THE HOME even if they do not belong to you:
- Your current dogs must be up to date on all shots (Rabies and DHPP required, Bordetella is strongly suggested especially if you visit parks with your pets). Health exceptions will be verified and discussed with your vet
- Your cats must have Rabies and FVRCP
- Flea/Tick preventative is strongly encouraged. Learn more about fleas and tick born disease here avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Safe-use-of-flea-and-tick-preventive-products.aspx
- Your current pets must be spayed/neutered
- Your current pets must be on heartworm preventative, and have annual health checks with your veterinarian
- Heartworm check every other year if your pet is on heartworm preventive year round (a requirement)
My application is approved, does that mean I get to meet the dog(s) I applied for?
Why was I denied?
Many of our dogs come from less fortunate situations. As such we thoroughly screen all applicants. We emphasize the need for a stable environment for our pups which includes: having a secure job and income to care for the dog, and stable housing. There will be no exceptions to landlord requirements including breed restrictions unless approval is documented in writing by your landlord.
RESCUEDohio reserves the right to deny any application at our discretion. It is our goal to place animals where we feel they will fit best, not necessarily in the order the applications are received. We trust that you will conduct yourself in a professional manner and not discredit the organization for not selecting your application.
With that being said common reasons for denials include:
- Current pets are not up to date on vaccinations and/or not on heartworm preventative. If this status changes, please email us and let us know. To learn more about why vaccinations and heartworm preventative are important look here:
- Current pet is not spayed/neutered
- You are not 23+.
- You do not live in Ohio.
- Your landlord does not allow pets.
How can we meet your dogs?
We require a completed and approved application with home visit prior to setting up meet and greets. We understand that you may be hesitant to complete an application prior to knowing if the dog is a fit for your home or gets along with your current pets, but to protect the privacy of our foster volunteers and to ensure the best use of time there are no exceptions to this rule. We will work with you to find the perfect dog for your specific home and situation upon a completed and approved application.
We do host many events in the Columbus area and you are free to attend any event that we host. You may meet a dog there and want to apply, but please know that there may be approved applications in front of yours.
What is your adoption fee?
RESCUEDohio is committed to adopting out vaccinated, spayed/neutered, healthy dogs. No dog will be fully adopted until they have a clean medical record by our vets.
- Puppies (6 months and under) – $400
- Adults (6 months to under 8) – $350
- All Seniors (8 and over) – $195
- Seniors for seniors – $65
All fees include spay/neuter, microchip, vaccinations*, worming, flea and heartworm current. All dogs over 6 months of age have been tested and are heartworm negative.
* Adult dogs will be fully vaccinated at time of adoption. Puppies will be vaccinated with age appropriate vaccines through their spay/neuter.
Every time I see a dog I am interested in, it’s already adopted. How can I avoid this?
A dog I saw on Petfinder is no longer listed. Has the dog been adopted?
We were approved with your organization before and/or are prior adopters. Do we need to reapply?
We are looking for a service dog, can you help?
I sent a Facebook message/emailed you, and you have not answered. Why?
It’s been a few days since I applied, when will I hear from someone?
Many times, we are waiting on your landlord, vet, or personal reference to respond to our requests. To help move the process along, please reach out to these individuals and let them know we will be in touch. We will not move forward with any application until we speak to these individuals, if applicable. Additionally, we may have emailed you some follow up questions, so be on the lookout for any emails from us.
RESCUEDohio application process:
- Return a fully completed application to us (incomplete applications will not be considered).
- Application is reviewed, vet and personal references are contacted, landlord contacted if applicable.
- If your application is provisionally approved, you will be contacted within 10 business days for a home visit that will be completed by a volunteer without the prospective adoptive animal.
- If the home visit is approved, a meet and greet will be set up by the foster family at a location of their choice (perhaps their home or a neutral location).
- If the meet and greet is successful, the adoption can be completed with a signed adoption contract and paid adoption fee.
- Please understand RESCUEDohio is fully run by volunteers who dedicate their time to saving homeless animals. Thank you for your patience through the adoption process.
- You must have a home visit complete prior to meeting any of our dogs. Applications will be processed in 7-10 business days.